Thursday 9 April 2015

On Plus sizes and Dresses

Mori style is one of those tricky clothes. Thin girls think it's for the chubby side cause of all the layers, and everything is just so loose,  while plus size girls  think it's for the skinny ones since almost all the catalogs feature a skinny girl. The truth is, it's for everyone. You just need to buy the right size. I think it's one of the easiest styles to wear, and something you can wear without the fear of being cat called.




While I was in one of the exhibitor's meeting, a new found friend told me, "You, know I want to wear pretty clothes and dresses, but it just doesn't suit me.."

I've often been told by friends of my customers. "I love your clothes but it doesn't suit me." And everytime I hear those words, I could feel the heavy sadness they felt whenever they said them.




I've never felt skinny all my life. When I was(skinny), during my highschool and college days, my mom kept telling me that I am fat. FAT like obese FAT. I had a good body, btw near underweight. Since  my arms was fatty, I thought I was on the chubby side too! And I thought to be skinny, you shouldn't have any bumps on your navel, and I had that! So i must be chubby right?

her tummy is still convex! FAT!!!

Apparently that bumpy fat below your navel that you don't see on magazine models were photoshopped. I was just stupid enough to believe it has to be flat like a wall or concave to call yourself slim.

And now I look back with regrets. I could have worn anything. From frilly dresses to bodycons to whatever the latest trend was! instead, I believed I was fat and never bothered with all the fun side of wearing clothes. Lol thanks mom!

Now that I actually gained weight, it was harder to dress up. jeans just look awkward, dresses don't fall right and everything else seems awkward. Dressing up became a pain. It wasn't much of a dilemma for me though since I always wore a uniform, but on those times that I had to dress up, I didn't know what to wear.

Until I met one of my friends, Bunny. She had dark skin, an orangey hair, wearing an overly loud pink lipstick. She had bangles all over her wrist with and it was just loud.

this was my first impression of her. bleached hair, loud make up and a pretty nail polish. all while in a school uniform 

I can't help but get drawn to her cause she was so charming and happy and she wore everything like that happy kogal in the photo quite well. But here's the catch, she was on the plus side. She had PCOS, and one of the symptoms of that disease is a tendency for obesity. If you're obese, and have irregular menses, go have yourself checked by a gynecologist!

Everything she wore she made it look as if it was made for her. She wasn't model material but she's HOT. One day when we were shopping together, I said the same things that my customers tell me. "I want to dress up, but the ones I like, I don't know if I can carry it well."

She looked straight into my eyes and just told me frankly "Just wear whatever you want. Nobody really cares what you wear."

We all knew her as that fashionista babe, who loved to accessorize and looked well polished even if we were just in school. She was confident with whatever she wore, even though she had unsightly curves, and wrong curves at the wrong places. And for that everything she wore looked amazing! even if what she was wearing was just our school uniform.

her technique was simple: Confidence

She wore body cons and the latest trends not batting an eyelash if it looks gaudy on other plus sized people, cause it looked fabulous on her. I knew most of what was in fashion because of her, and I've stopped being overly conscious of what I was wearing. And as I am writing this on a throwback thursday, I realized my regrets even more. All I wore was pretty boring

From then on,  I stopped being bothered with what other people thought, and suddenly a whole new world opened before me. I was no longer limited and life became more fun!

These are the words I told to my new found friend, "You know, you should just wear whatever you want to wear. When will you start wearing them, when you're old and wrinkly and say to yourself you're too old for those styles?  You'd look back with regret cause you'll never really have the perfect body for that particular style. So just wear them now." And those are my words for you if you're scared to wear a particular style

Hope that inspires you! So I will leave this entry with a bunch of my favorite photos of mori girls to help you with coords,
soource: http://lookbook.nu/look/6418364-Lane-Bryant-Jersey-Cardigan-Home-Made-Dress
so  cozy!!

http://c4tbus.tumblr.com/

I love this shoot! It's so dynamic!!

http://lookbook.nu/collections/25706-plus-size-mori

from Alishia Burns Photography

from Alishia Burns Photography
I love this relaxed one with the splash of rose color. You can wear mori style clothes even for everyday and it looks fab. 


from Alishia Burns Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment